4.20.2006

A Brief History

I moved to NC from TN in 1978. One day, I was eating at Hector's in the mall, and met a guy who had just opened an employment agency. He needed a "secretary."

Job responsibilities included answering the phone, interviewing prospective employees and matching them to employer's needs, scheduling interviews, helping clients with their resumes and so on.

Just so happened, I was available. Never really interviewed with him for that position, he just told me to show up the next morning and he would put me to work. I did, and he did. As his agency was brand new, he was not able to pay me more than minimum wage, and he knew I wouldn't be satisfied with that for long. He was very generous in allowing me to peruse the positions as they came in, and he said I could have my pick if something looked interesting.

One job that caught my eye was as an expediter at a large distributing company. Actually, what caught my eye was not the job itself, but the pay was decent and the hours were 10 am-7pm. So, yeah. I faxed them my resume, and arranged an appointment for an interview. When I showed up for the interview, they sat me down at a desk and put me to work.

Twenty eight years and ten positions, including management, later, and here I still am.

For another two weeks anyway!

PS - The man that "hired" me left soon after and joined a commune in Washington state. Seriously!

7 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

To be out there looking all of a sudden can be unsettling. When I retired after 20 years in the military I had anxiety because I didn't know how my military experience would translate into the civilian world. I did find work but moved around a bit until I found a company that I really like. I recommend using assets like the State Employment Agency and the Internet. Hopefully, you will find a position that you like the first time. It doesn't hurt to try a job on to see if it fits. There's probably another one out there if it doesn't.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home