4.21.2006

Helpful Hints

I've begun to tell people I work with that I will not be available after next week.

It's interesting how some people look at you with pity and some people look at you with envy.

One coworker asked me if I were upset, and I thought about it, and strangely enough, I am not. A little apprehensive perhaps, but not in anguish or anything.

In fact, I feel a little excited. In fact, I feel exhilerated!

Due to the constant downsizing at my company for the past few years, most of the people I worked with for any length of time are long gone. My current manager is a great guy, and I'm confident he will give me a letter of recommendation and/or a reference.

I received a phone call this afternoon from my previous manager, who has been gone for about a year. He had lots of good information and advice. For example:

1. Adjust withholding for income tax purposes, if I find a job while receiving severance pay. While each income is taxed, they are taxed seperately instead of as a total sum. He had to pay several thousand dollars in federal taxes this year.
2. Go directly to the ESC my first non working day. They have tons of information there, as well as various career counseling resources.
3. Don't be afraid to call on ALL previous and current coworkers, friends and family to be on the lookout for information. 99.9% of everyone you ask will be happy to help you.

And the best advice he gave, was something I often say as well...."Life's too short!" At this point in my life, I want to do something I enjoy. I wonder if I could just follow Clay Aiken around all summer...?

I'm still feeling more anticipation than apprehension. Good stuff.

4 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home