5.11.2006

What's on Your Soundtrack?

I love music.

I remember my first "stereo HIFI record player," a little blue thing with detachable speakers. I thought I was the stuff when I got that record player. My first album was the soundtrack to Woodstock. My parents, who always wanted to provide whatever my little heart desired, within their means of course, gave it to me one year for Christmas.

Halfway through "The Fish Cheer" that sucker was off that little blue record player and in the top of their closet.

I joined the band in sixth grade, so I had the distinct pleasure of spending my formative middle and high school years as a band geek. We got to go to Europe for three weeks, so yeah, I didn't mind being a band geek. We had majorettes in the marching band, and I was the lead twirler my senior year. Good times! In Tennessee, we had an "all state" band, several actually, with green, red and blue categories, blue signifying the top players in the state. I played in the blue band for three years of high school. Yes, I was serious.

I love the German composers. Ludwig von rocks! I spent some time being addicted to the film "A Clockwork Orange" just for the music. The Strauss marches and waltzes and Ludwig Von's Moonlight Sonata, Ode to Joy and Fifth Symphony - love. I'm a plebian classical music lover, but that's OK. Everybody's gotta love something!

I love bluegrass music. I've seen Doc Watson at least ten times and I even own a banjo. To no avail! Old time music and the high lonesome sound was made famous by such stalwart musicians as Doc, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley and the Carter Family. The Carter Family came from Hiltons VA, just across the state line from my hometown in TN. My grandfather used to sit on the knee of Maybelle Carter, while she sang to him.

My favorite orchestral composition is "Adagio for Strings" by American composer Samuel Barber. I first heard it in the film "Platoon," and spent forever trying to find out what it was and where to get it. It's hauntingly beautiful, and creates a mood simultaneously melancholy and joyous. Truly magical.

Now, don't laugh. I love acoustic new age music. If you are curious about it, check out Michael Hedges, Pat Metheny Group or Charlie Hunter. Or even better, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Bela plays the banjo. New age banjo. Open your mind. You may be surprised!

I did disco. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

I grew up on the Stones, Who, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Steely Dan, Santana. Paul Simon, The Police, Bonnie Raitt. I've seen them all in concert.

In the 80s, I listened to lots of techno and some pop. By pop, I mean The Pretenders, B52s, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Billy Joel, Annie Lennox - love! I have everything by Elton John. Adult pop, not like today's pop music.

Not all of which is bad though. I like Coldplay and Beck. I like obscure pop artists like Matthew Sweet, Jonatha Brooke and Michael Penn. I love Sheryl Crow's music - it's quite mindless, but poppy and fun. Mindless can be a good thing at times.

Stevie Ray Vaughn was a god. Saw him live too, right in the 'Dort Narena' in Raleigh where Clay Aiken played last October. I cried when I learned he died in a plane crash. The sky has taken many an outstanding musician.

In the 90s, I grew to love the old U2 albums, and Sting. I love the intricate simplicity of U2 and the complex sensibility of Sting.

Which brings me now to Clay. So many artists, groups, bands, whatever - they have the music but not the voice. But Clay, he has the voice; now, he just needs the music.

I will wait forever for that next CD, if it takes that long to get the music right.

I want real music. Sung by Clay. The right music will make him happy to sing it, and that will show in the end product. Perhaps it will then reveal to him the true importance of his gift.

For all he wants to make a difference, and for all his work with TBAF, UNICEF, RMHC, Toys for Tots and YSA, he can also make a mighty, mighty difference in so many people's lives with just his music, just his voice.

Music is magic, music is love. A note, a phrase set to music - it can bring you to tears, give you peace, swell your heart with joy. It can carry you through times of grief and loss. Our music is the soundtrack of our lives. It can heal you, give you clarity, show you the way.

Music can change lives. Clay has changed lives with his music, with the wonder of his voice, with the sincerity and the truth of it. I think he knows this, but he may not be comfortable believing it. Yet.

My wish is that he learns to embrace the importance of it. My wish is that he understands the power of the music.

I feel it. My wish is that he feels it too.

6 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, he definitely can make a difference with his voice, his singing. He's a smart man. If he doesn't realize it, I'm betting he will, but would never admit it. He's just that way. And I love him all the more for it.

Thanks for your blog!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger ladyjocelyn said...

Wow. Just wow.

First of all, I LOVE Bela Fleck. He's awesome.

Secondly, I love so much of your music tastes. U2, Sting, Steely Dan, Sheryl Crow...all first rate in my book. My husband is the Steely Dan fan...and I remember picking up their newest album the same day I picked up a copy of TITN.

Bluegrass? Banjo? My husband is doing all that now.

And then there's Clay. He's making a difference and "using his voice" and will be remembered for a LONG time to come.

Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Too Much said...

Love so many oof your faves too! Sting, U2, Coldplay, bluegrass. Oh yeah, and that Clay Aiken guy! I can't wait to hear him again soon.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home